Book Review: The Good Samaritan by John Marrs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She’s a friendly voice on the phone. But can you trust her?

The people who call End of the Line need hope. They need reassurance that life is worth living. But some are unlucky enough to get through to Laura. Laura doesn’t want them to hope. She wants them to die.

Laura hasn’t had it easy: she’s survived sickness and a difficult marriage only to find herself heading for forty, unsettled and angry. She doesn’t love talking to people worse off than she is. She craves it.

But now someone’s on to her—Ryan, whose world falls apart when his pregnant wife ends her life, hand in hand with a stranger. Who was this man, and why did they choose to die together?

The sinister truth is within Ryan’s grasp, but he has no idea of the desperate lengths Laura will go to…

Because the best thing about being a Good Samaritan is that you can get away with murder.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded this book on my kindle as a result of my one free pre-realease books I get every month as an Amazon Prime member. This month was a tough toss up as there were a few really good choices. I ultimately settled on The Good Samaritan by John Marrs.

I'm so glad I did.

Even though I love horror, psychological thrillers are my ultimate favorite. The twistier the better! This book was twisty and nasty to the 100th degree! All of the characters are hopeless, but the main character Laura is so sick and twisted. I was stunned at how low-down she could get and disgusted at her thoughts.  Author John Marrs totally created a villain for the ages.

The cat and mouse game between Laura and Ryan was on point! I could not turn the pages fast enough. The story kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time wondering who was going to win this twisted game of revenge of and one-uping-each-other. Who was going to lose their mind first?

There were many plot twist that spread though out the book and most of them, I did not see coming. The only reason I didn't sit in bed and read this book all day because I unfortunately have to get up and earn a living everyday.

I don't want to give away too much of the plot line. The summary above does a good job of summing up the story which out giving away too much. The book's strengths are really in some of its surprises.

My only complaint is I would really have liked an ending a bit  more solid. I understood it and it was pretty clever, but it wasn't an open ending that completely worked. This did not stop me from loving the book however.

This is definitely a 5 star read I would recommend to anyone who likes twisted psychological thrillers. 

Pick up your copy to read on Amazon! This one of the best books of 2017.

Comments