Horror Movie Review: Ghoul is Netflix's Best Horror Movie Yet!



While Netflix is known for churning out hit after hit with their TV series, most viewers know that their movies can be a real hit and miss. I really was intrigued by Ghoul from the moment I saw the trailer and read the description below:

When a new prisoner arrives at a military detention center exhibiting eerie behavior, young interrogator Nida Rahim searches for the truth. Her quest becomes a battle for survival when the prisoner, sect leader Ali Saeed, turns the tables on Nida and the other interrogators, exposing their most shameful secrets. Nida ultimately discovers a ghoul inhabiting Saeed and -- after telling her colleagues about it -- learns the alarming truth about what its presence reveals.

It was also refreshing to see a horror movie made in a different country (the film appears to take place in a futuristic India). Also, the film has a strong female lead. Although many of her decisions are questionable and you may find yourself at times not liking Nida (there were many times I didn’t like her) but, she is still written as a strong female lead holding down her own.

Ghoul is considered a miniseries and is made up of 3 episodes. I was shocked to speak to some of my fellow horror fans who said they fell asleep during the first episode. While it’s slow, it’s really not that slow. I think horror fans are so used to cutting to the cheap thrills these days that some of us have lost our ability to sit through character, plot, and world-building them. I've encouraged many of them to go back and give it another try.

By the middle of the second episode, things are just straight up bananas! The film executes its jump scares extremely well. My favorite thing about it is the continual sense of foreboding it has. If it isn’t scaring the crap out of you, it’s preparing you for a big scare which makes your heart race just as much as the frightening moment itself.

The third episode is constantly made up of scares and adrenaline. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The finale feeds on paranoia as the characters no longer know whom they can trust. Although the audience usually has a pretty good grasp of where the evil lies, it's really fun to watch the characters panic and fight for their lives.

It's worth pushing through some of the slow spots that the first episode has to offer. By the end of the episode, I found myself truly wanting more. I was legit mad that it was over and sort of wish there is a secret sequel in the works.

Have you seen it? If so, let me know what you think about it in the comments below. And if you haven’t head on over to Netflix and give it a go. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Comments