Netflix Thriller Review: Prodigy




It’s not very often that I feel on the fence about whether I like a film or not. Although The Shape of Water did have me a bit confused. I had so many conflicted feelings however after finishing the 2018 film Prodigy. The story is very simple: an extremely intelligent child who also has telekinesis powers squares off against a worn out psychiatrist who is still considered one of the best in his field. The plot line is only mildly interesting but, apparently, it was still enough to draw me in.

Sadly, I found myself incredibly bored with this film. I enjoy a slow-burn film, but this film just goes on and on without feeling like it is actually going anywhere. Part of the problem is the bad acting. The actress who plays the little genius carries the strongest performance in the entire movie. The actor behind the psychiatrist gives the average "been in the business too long" performance. When the psychiatrist finally opens up to the child (which she manipulates him into doing), it's very moving. This is something that would have been nicer to see throughout the entire film.



The most annoying part of the film is apparently the writer felt that there was a need to include a comical character. I’m not sure why. Slow burning thrillers often feel like they need to include a comical relief in their stories. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t…it didn’t work this time. It feels forced, contrite and drags the dialogue even further.

The cinematography is dark and creepy, I'll give them that. It was one of the few things that keep you interested in the film even when you're desperate to look away from it. There were times I just could not wait for this film to end but, the banter between the prodigy and the psychiatrist along with the ominous glow of the film kept me from breaking.

There just are not enough positive aspects of this film for me to tell you, sit down on a Saturday night and give this a try. It’s more of a watch for if you’re really bored and don’t know what else to watch on a Saturday night because you’ve gone through the entire horror section on Netflix. It’s not terrible, it’s just not…good. You’ve been warned.

Comments